Residents of Portage and surrounding Porter County communities in northwest Indiana remain on alert after a series of severe-weather events caused widespread damage in the area, but the latest National Weather Service information does not show a tornado warning currently active today.
The National Weather Service Chicago office issued its Monday morning hazardous-weather outlook for northern Illinois and northwest Indiana and said that no hazardous weather was expected today or tonight. Porter County is included in that forecast area.
That update is important because severe-weather alerts can expire quickly, while screenshots and social-media posts may continue circulating long after a warning has ended.
Portage and other communities in the county have, however, been dealing with the aftermath of a powerful storm earlier in August. Residents posting online over the weekend described extensive tree damage, debris and prolonged power outages across parts of northwest Indiana. One Portage-area discussion described conditions as resembling the aftermath of a hurricane, while others reported that electricity remained out for days.
The recent damage has left the region particularly sensitive to additional severe-weather threats.
Portage’s emergency management department maintains an outdoor warning siren system operated with the Porter County Emergency Management Agency. The city’s official guidance says the sirens are intended to warn people outdoors about dangerous conditions, including tornado warnings. Residents who hear the sirens are advised to seek shelter immediately and obtain additional information through local media or official emergency channels.
Porter County has experienced tornado warnings this summer. On July 27, the National Weather Service issued a tornado warning covering Porter County after radar indicated a storm capable of producing tornadoes and extensive straight-line wind damage. The warning specifically included Portage, Valparaiso and South Haven, with residents urged to take shelter.
That July warning is separate from the current situation and should not be presented as a warning issued on August 17.
The distinction matters because weather information can become outdated within minutes. A warning issued for a particular storm is tied to a specific period, and once the threat has passed, conditions may change significantly.
For residents in Portage today, the latest official forecast provides some reassurance, but that does not mean severe weather is impossible later. Conditions can evolve quickly during summer thunderstorm season, particularly across the Great Lakes and northern Indiana.
Anyone who receives a new tornado warning should move immediately to a sturdy building and shelter in a basement or interior room on the lowest floor, away from windows. Mobile homes and vehicles are particularly dangerous places to remain during a tornado.
Residents should also keep phones charged and have multiple ways to receive emergency alerts, especially while parts of the region continue recovering from recent storm damage and power disruptions.
At present, the available official information does not support describing Portage as being under a tornado warning today. Instead, the city and surrounding county remain in a period of heightened awareness because of the severe weather experienced in recent days.